When you hurt the inside of your mouth or when it becomes irritated, you are at risk of bacterial infection. As a result, you will see a pus-filled swelling that causes you pain. This revolting thick, yellowish fluid may ooze out of the affected area at the slightest touch.
However, you actually need to drain it out, lest the swelling worsens and bring you more pain. Called dental abscess, this condition is something you should see a Walsall emergency dentist for, stresses oral health expert The Priory Dental Practice.
And not just because of the pain and swelling it causes, but because it can lead to even more serious complications.
The body’s response to the infection
The formation of an abscess around an infection occurs because of the body’s response to bacteria. This is how the body attempts to prevent the spread of the infection. Keep in mind that this pus-filled swelling can form in just a short amount of time.
In fact, in some people, it develops within just one to two days after the bacteria enter and cause an infection. These formations come in two kinds: gum abscesses and tooth-related abscesses.
Abscess affecting the gums
Also, known as periodontal abscesses, these usually result from an infection occurring in the spaces between the gum and the tooth. It typically happens after food trapped in this space degrades and breaks down, attracting even more bacteria to the area.
In people suffering from severe periodontal (gum) disease, bacteria can accumulate and thrive not just beneath the gums, but also inside the bone itself.
Abscess development in the tooth
Also, referred to as periapical abscess or one that develops inside the tooth. This occurs when the nerve of the tooth dies or is about to. When you see the formation at the tip of the affected tooth’s root, you suffer from this type of abscess.
Note that when you leave this untreated, it can spread to the bone surrounding the tooth.
Most abscesses have painful manifestations, so you should not think twice about seeking professional help. And because leaving it untreated will only lead to the progression of the infection to the bone, you should never ignore the symptoms.